Beware of carbon monoxide

Beware of carbon monoxide

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

As winter approaches, Inpes * recalls the importance of monitoring the installation of heating systems and chimneys in order to avoid an accident.

What is carbon monoxide?

  • Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless, toxic and lethal gas which results from a bad combustion or aeration, whatever the source of energy: wood, gas, coal, essence ... Undetectable, it causes each year 4500 intoxications and 90 deaths. That's why as winter approaches and the first cold, the INPES, National Institute for Prevention and Health Education, recalls the safety instructions.

Reflexes in addition, risks in less

  • Every yearHave your installations checked by a professional: boiler, fireplace, stove, water heater, air ducts and inserts.
  • Every dayand even if it's cold, ventilate your home for at least 10 minutes to renew the air.
  • Do not block the air ducts.
  • Have a mechanical sweeping done your chimneys and ducts at least once a year.
  • Do not use a backup heater continuouslythey are not made for that.

What to do in case of symptoms?

  • Nausea, headache, vomiting? It may be carbon monoxide. Ventilate your home immediately, shut down your combustion equipment and contact the emergency services at 18 (fire) or 112 (European emergency number).
  • To know more :

Stéphanie Letellier